Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberry Orange Trifle

I don't have a picture because I don't have one of those fancy trifle dishes (yet).  But it was very easy and yummy!

Ingredients:
4 (heaping) cups of sliced strawberries (I used sugar free frozen, pre-sliced)
1-2 cans (15 oz.) of mandarin oranges, drained
2 Tablespoons orange juice (or juice from the can of the oranges)
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 package of shortbread cookies, crushed (I used Keebler "Sandies")

1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 (11 oz) jar lemon curd
OR
1 package cool whip
1 package lemon pudding prepared using package directions


1. Mix strawberries, oranges, OJ and sugar.  Let stand at room temp for 10 minutes.

2. If you use the cream and lemon curd, beat together at low speed with an electric mixer until blended. Gradually increase mixer speed, beating until medium peaks form.  If you use cool whip and pudding, prepare the pudding before you do anything else.  Then mix in mixer with cool whip til blended.

3.  Start layering ingredients.  Put 1/3 of fruit  on the bottom.  1/3 of creamy mixture next, and 1/2 of the crushed cookies.  Repeat.  Top layer will be creamy mixture.  If you want, garnish with strawberries on top. 

Notes: The amount of oranges depends on how many you want.  One can would be good, but use two if you want in orange in about every other bite.  You can also use fresh oranges, but canned mandarin are easier. 

Ok, let me tell you about this lemon curd.  It is so hard to find!!  And it was $3 for a small jar.  So if you are adventurous I would try the second option I listed and mix a container of cool whip with some milk and lemon pudding.  I think it would be the same consistency and taste, and cheaper.  I will try that next time. 

And I do plan on making this again, it was a light and delicious!  It does better for larger crowds (6-10+ people) where it is all eaten because the cookies get mushy if it is kept overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment