Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Classic Apple Pie

I love making pies.  One of my favorite cookbooks is Farm Journal's Best-Ever Pies.  If there is ever a pie you need a recipe for and you've never heard of it before that person asked for it, you'll find it there. 

But now that you've googled it and found that you can only order used copies from Amazon and Barnes and Noble, understand that this recipe cannot be found there, only on this blog and whatever recipe book my highschool homec teacher had.  May dad asks for it every birthday!

Ingredients:
Pastry for two-crust pie (I don't venture to make my own, I buy Mrs. Smiths)
1/3 C sugar
1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
dash of salt
8 C thinly sliced peeled tart apples (8 medium)
2 tbsp stick margarine

Heat oven to 425. Prepare your crusts or thaw according to package directions.

Mix your dry ingredients then add your apples and mix thoroughly. Pour apples into 1st crust.

Cover apples with dotted margarine then cover pie with 2nd crust.  Cut 4 slits in top crust and press edges together.  Cover edges with aluminum foil.

Bake pie for 40-50 minutes.  My oven usually does great for a full 40 minutes max.  If the crust starts browning too much before you've reached 40 minutes, place a sheet of foil over your pie until finished baking (nobody likes gooey bottom crust!)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment