Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches

You will need:
2 Tbs butter (I used EVOO in place of butter)
1lb boneless steak (any cut; I usually buy already thin sliced steak and just cut it into strips or have the butcher cut it for you)
1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (I didn't use onion)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Hot sauce, optional (I liberally used Louisiana hot sauce)
Sliced provolone cheese (I used Sargento slices)
4-6 Hoagie rolls

What you need to do:
1. Slice bell pepper and onion into thin strips.  Slice steak into VERY thin strips.


2. In a large skillet, melt butter/EVOO over medium-high heat.  When melted and bubbly, add steak.  Stir constantly. 


3. When the meat is about half way cooked (2-3 minutes), add onions and bell peppers.  Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.  Continue stirring until meat is cooked through and onions and peppers are tender.  Try not to over cook the meat or it will be really tough.  I usually turn down the heat to low-medium for the last 2 minutes, so the peppers are more soft, without overcooking the steak.


4. Spoon the meat filling into sliced rolls and add sliced provolone cheese.  Place open-faced sandwiches onto a baking sheet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes on high, or until the cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
5. Serve immediately.

Sorry, I don't have a final picture with cheese melted and all...we gobbled these up as soon as they were done!  Oh, my inlaws were here so we didn't eat all four ourselves! ha!  This is a great, quick recipe and could be for lunch or dinner.  My two cents...one pound of steak is just barely enough for 4 sandwiches, as you can see, so if you are feeding big men, I would get a little more steak.  But if you're making it for two, it's just the right amount with a little leftover!

No comments:

Post a Comment