Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Red Velvet Waffles

Here is a recipe for Red Velvet Waffles with a Cream Cheese Frosting and Butter Pecan Syrup! I modified a recipe that I found online, and here was the result. It claims to make 4 servings, but mine went much farther than that. Store leftover mix in an airtight container in the fridge for breakfast the next day or two!

THE WAFFLES


What you'll need:
2 cups flour (I used Whole Wheat)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 cup butter, melted, cooled
1/8 cup vegetable oil
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tablespoons red food coloring

Directions:
1. Separate eggs.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff.
3. Mix dry ingredients together then add wet.
4. Mix all ingredients together THEN fold in the egg whites.
5. Heat waffle iron and spray with non-stick cooking spray
6. Pour mix into waffle iron and cook until done!

THE FROSTING

What you'll need:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp. sugar
Cool whip

Directions:
Mix it all together, soften in microwave if necessary. I layered small square waffles with the frosting and topped with Cool Whip.

THE SYRUP


What you'll need:
1 1/2 cups of maple syrup (I used a sugar-free, butter-flavored syrup with Splenda)
1/8 cup of butter (If you are not using butter-flavored syrup, do 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup of pecans

Directions:
1. Melt butter.
2. Add syrup and mix together.
3. Add pecans.

As I mentioned, my waffle iron is square shaped, so I layered 2 small waffles with frosting in the center, plopped a dollop of Cool Whip on top, then drizzled the butter pecan syrup. It was a fun change to the traditional waffle. Unfortunately, my Red Velvet Waffles have completely cleaned me out of red food coloring. Now I'm considering Blue Suede Pancakes?

1 comment: