Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Pimento Cheese

I used to be one that wouldn't touch pimento cheese with a 10-foot pole. I am not sure what changed. Maybe the recipe I use now is better than when I was younger or maybe my taste buds have changed, but I can't get enough of this stuff. I take it to school for lunch on days when another turkey sandwich might make me sick, and I love it during the summer with crackers.



Pimento Cheese


This is really more of a method than a recipe, which is strange because I usually like to follow recipes... I guess this is my exception! You can mix and add what you like to make it your own and it can easily be doubled! As far as measuring goes, I just keep adding ingredients until I get it to the taste and consistency I like!

1 block of cheddar cheese (I usually use medium or sharp cheddar, but you can use whatever you prefer)
1 cup or so of Mayo
a couple table spoons (or globs) of sour cream
1 jar of pimentos drained (they come in different sized jars, pick the size you want depending on your love for them!)
a sprinkling of garlic powder
quite a bit of pepper (I like to see the black specks...)
some splashes of hot sauce (if that's your thing)

I sometime add green olives chopped up or green onions!

Serve with crackers, make a sandwich, use as a dip, eat it with a spoon, whatever you'd like! :o)

Okay, here is the crucial part...you have to grate your own cheese. Notice I didn't say a "bag" of cheese... I said a "block". I set mine on my kitchen counter when I know I am going to make it so the block can soften. I may or may not forget about it sitting out before I make it, but that is beside the point! :o) Then, use a hand grater and grate the cheese once it's soft. This will help the spread/dip be creamier!

No comments:

Post a Comment